Cooke Street

 
 


As you turn from Castle Street into Cooke Street note the walled yard on the left behind the former Bank of England building. A fine Georgian style building was demolished on this site to make provision for a secure yard into which used notes were delivered for destruction in the 60’s and 70’s.


[Above]

In the Watson Prickard building on the corner of Cooke Street and North John Street we can see provision made at first floor level to take future pedestrian bridges in a future but now abandoned scheme conceived in the mid 60's that would have moved pedestrians and building access  above street and traffic level. The deep windows enabled the walkway area to be temporarily incorporated into the building’s office and sales areas pending construction of the outer bridge. Remnants of this scheme can be seen elsewhere, including the Moorfields Station exit. The scheme was abandoned by the then new County Council in the mid 70's as unaffordable (from which we might infer a lack of political and financial support for Liverpool from its outer boroughs.)


[Above left]

Masterpiece by Engineer Peter Ellis at 16 Cooke Street. (See Oriel Chambers) circa 1867. Rear oriel windows similar to Oriel Chambers, and glazed iron spiral staircase tower.


BACK                                                                    NEXT

16 Cooke Street and Watson Prickard